Uncertain Times: Building a Trauma-Informed Practice in the current, anxiety driven environment
An online training workshop
Speaker: Christiane Sanderson
Date: 8 May 2021, Saturday
Location: Online streaming only (all our webinar tickets now include complimentary access to a recorded version for 30 days)
Times: 10:00am to 4:00pm, London, UK time
CPD hours: 5
Individual ticket price per delegate for online streaming of the event: £135
Video recording per course pack: £134.99
Buy more than one ticket to receive our ‘bring a friend’ 5% discount on your entire order.
For more information on ticket types and order processing times please click here
The current global pandemic, which can well qualify as mass trauma, has not only brought unpredictability and loss of control but has also resulted in a wide range of losses: death of loved ones, loss of physical and mental health, loss of social interaction, loss of employment and a loss of self-agency. This is manifest in a range of mental health problems including depression, anxiety disorder, trauma and stress-related disorders as well as substance misuse and chronic loneliness. In addition, people with underlying mental health problems or a history of childhood trauma have experienced a reactivation of past traumas and intensification of symptoms.
Full Course Information
In short, the need for us all, as therapists, to be trauma-informed in our therapeutic approaches has perhaps never been greater.
This practical and therapeutically oriented one-day seminar with Christiane Sanderson explains how enduring emotional distress and activation of trauma symptoms requires practitioners to be more mindful of the impact of trauma and illustrates how we can incorporate the fundamental principles of trauma-informed practice when working with our clients. Specifically, we will discuss:
- The techniques that enable clinicians to view their clients’ experiences through the lens of trauma and how they can manage their presentations more effectively through the use of the TriPhasic Model when working with trauma
- The three stages of stabilisation, processing and integration that underpin trauma therapy will be introduced, along with a range of grounding skills; plus affect regulation skills that enable an increase in distress tolerance and resilience
- The ways in which the three stages of therapy can best be employed when working online to create a safe, predictable and consistent therapeutic space
- The principles of The Power Threat Meaning Framework: how we can manage power and control dynamics in the therapeutic relationship
- Trauma safe adjustments that we can make to the therapeutic process by using mindfulness and grounding techniques
- How we can facilitate a more collaborative, non-hierarchical and relationship-centred therapeutic dialogue
Overall, the emphasis of the seminar is on how practitioners can use trauma informed practice as a scaffold to support their preferred therapeutic model to manage trauma symptoms.
About the speaker
Christiane Sanderson BSc, MSc. is a senior lecturer in Psychology at the University of Roehampton, of London with 26 years of experience working with survivors of childhood sexual abuse and sexual violence. She has delivered consultancy, continuous professional development and professional training for parents, teachers, social workers, nurses, therapists, counsellors, solicitors, the NSPCC, the Catholic Safeguarding Advisory Committee, the Methodist Church, the Metropolitan Police Service, SOLACE, the Refugee Council, Birmingham City Council Youth Offending Team, and HMP Bronzefield.
She is the author of Counselling Skills for Working with Shame, Counselling Skills for Working with Trauma: Healing from Child Sexual Abuse, Sexual Violence and Domestic Abuse, Counselling Adult Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse, 3rd edition, Counselling Survivors of Domestic Abuse, The Seduction of Children: Empowering Parents and Teachers to Protect Children from Child Sexual Abuse, and Introduction to Counselling Survivors of Interpersonal Trauma, all published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers. She has also written The Warrior Within: A One in Four Handbook to Aid Recovery from Sexual Violence; The Spirit Within: A One in Four Handbook to Aid Recovery from Religious Sexual Abuse Across All Faiths and Responding to Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse: A pocket guide for professionals, partners, families and friends for the charity One in Four for whom she is a trustee.
© nscience UK, 2021 / 22