Conducting Online Therapy Sessions that Deliver Results: Video Course
Speaker: Christiane Sanderson
Product: Video Course
CPD Hours: 3
Video course packs, including all notes are sent by an email link. Online video access remains available for 60 days from the date you receive the video course.
Moving from face-to-face therapy to conducting online therapy sessions during the COVID-19 crisis can seem challenging for both therapists and clients. While studies have demonstrated that well-managed online sessions can potentially be as effective as face-to-face engagements, the whole experience can understandably appear daunting and disembodied.
Print or Share this page
Gift Vouchers Now Available
Digital gift vouchers are redeemable against any nscience course
Full Course Information
At this seminar, Christiane considers how we can navigate the challenges of the online format and deliver effective online sessions that allow for deep therapeutic engagement. Using examples, she highlights how the online setting can provide an opportunity for us to practice differently and hone our therapeutic skills, especially with regards to connection and attunement – while opening up doors to long-distance therapy, as well as therapy for clients who may be unable to travel. She explains the best practices that we can incorporate and how we can fine-tune the delivery of our therapeutic techniques to suit the online format.
Specifically, we consider how we can:
- Provide a safe therapeutic space, while reducing the effects of social distancing and the concomitant sense of isolation or exacerbation of trauma symptoms and / or anxieties
- Focus on enhancing our awareness to verbal and non-verbal communication
- Use voice, breath and body language to modulate and regulate emotional states so as to remain present, connected and attuned
- Incorporate a combination of top-down and bottom-up regulation skills that enable our clients to slow down and come into the body, with a view to increasing distress tolerance and improving stress resilience
- Pace our therapeutic approach, including the need to temporarily suspend deeper exploration of past trauma or aversive experiences and focussing on the here-and-now
- Managing the optimal amount of therapeutic contact with regards to the frequency and duration of sessions and the online platforms that can best suit our therapy sessions while ensuring privacy and confidentiality
- Ensure that as therapists we are able to manage and contain our own anxieties and stress through self-care and the specific steps we need to take in the context of online therapy
About the speaker
Christiane Sanderson BSc, MSc. is a senior lecturer in Psychology at the University of Roehampton, of London with 26 years of experience working with survivors of childhood sexual abuse and sexual violence. She has delivered consultancy, continuous professional development and professional training for parents, teachers, social workers, nurses, therapists, counsellors, solicitors, the NSPCC, the Catholic Safeguarding Advisory Committee, the Methodist Church, the Metropolitan Police Service, SOLACE, the Refugee Council, Birmingham City Council Youth Offending Team, and HMP Bronzefield.
She is the author of Counselling Skills for Working with Shame, Counselling Skills for Working with Trauma: Healing from Child Sexual Abuse, Sexual Violence and Domestic Abuse, Counselling Adult Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse, 3rd edition, Counselling Survivors of Domestic Abuse, The Seduction of Children: Empowering Parents and Teachers to Protect Children from Child Sexual Abuse, and Introduction to Counselling Survivors of Interpersonal Trauma, all published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers. She has also written The Warrior Within: A One in Four Handbook to Aid Recovery from Sexual Violence; The Spirit Within: A One in Four Handbook to Aid Recovery from Religious Sexual Abuse Across All Faiths and Responding to Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse: A pocket guide for professionals, partners, families and friends for the charity One in Four for whom she is a trustee.
© nscience UK, 2020 / 21
What Our Customers Say
“nscience staff and technical staff were friendly, helpful, patient and efficient, and clearly responded quickly and ably to feedback. The venue was well-located and the facilities were high quality. Very good indeed.”
“The event was enjoyable and absorbing throughout, with plenty of useful and applicable learning to take away and digest.”
“Your speakers are simply the best in the field! I wish I could come to more of your programmes.”
“Excellent venue and great content - thanks to you and your team for a wonderful day.”
“I am recommending you to all my students and friends in Dublin!”
“The video recordings are a great resource. Thank you!”